Australian Embassy
Russian Federation
Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Moldova, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan

Notarial Services

To comply with foreign requirements, Australian documents sometimes need additional government legalisation (through an authentication or the placement of an apostille) before they can be used overseas. This can also include Australian educational certificate and academic testamurs. For additional information on legalising documents, click here.

Other notarial services available at the Australian Embassy in Moscow include:

  • Certifying copies of original documents (linked to Australia).
  • Witnessing of signatures on documents (linked to Australia).
  • Identity verification on Australian bank applications and Australian land transactions (see below re land transactions).
  • Witnessing statutory declarations under Australian Commonwealth laws (and some State laws).
  • Witnessing affidavits (the taking of an oath or affirmation) for use in Australian courts or legal proceedings.
  • Certifying photographs (for use in documents linked to Australia) as a true likeness of the applicant.

For additional information on Australian notarial services, click here.

Once you have identified the service you seek, please contact us to discuss your requirements and to obtain the most up to date fees.

To make an appointment for a notarial service, click here.

For information on how to pay for a notarial service, click here.

Australian consulates headed by Honorary Consuls delivering consular assistance in locations where there are no Australian missions are not permitted to provide the services above (unless it is in relation to an Australian passport application and they are authorised to interview clients).

2019 Passport and Notarial Services Fees Increase

From 1 January 2019, increased passport and notarial services fees will apply:
  • 10-year passport for persons aged 16 and over - $293
  • 5-year passport for children under 16 years and persons aged 75 and over - $148
  • emergency passport overseas - $184
  • replacement passport - $184
  • adult overseas surcharge - $132
  • child overseas surcharge - $64
  • certifying a copy of document, witnessing signature- $72
  • Apostille/Authentication certifciate- $83
  • Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI)- $146

For more information on passport and notarial services fees please email 

Certifying Identity for a Land or Property Transaction

Australian states and territories have rules in relation to land or property transactions in Australia. One of the rules is that a face-to-face interview must be conducted with the individual who is signing a property document and that the identification documents used to verify a person's identity must be presented. If you require a form to be witnessed and/or need identification documents certified, we can perform these functions for you. You should check with your Australian representative what is required before seeking our services. If you require verification of identity for a property transaction, you must attend an interview with original identification documents, client authorisation or mortgage and certification, and the subscriber or mortgagee's written instructions.

It is a requirement that the instructions from your legal representative in Australia be provided in addition to the documents you need witnessed or certified.

Once all the correct documents are sighted and certified, we will provide you with a Certificate of Identity confirming that we have witnessed and certified your documents in accordance with the instructions from your legal representative. Where instructions from your legal representative are not provided, the services will be declined.

To make an appointment for a notarial service, click here.

For information on how to pay for a notarial service, click here.

Getting Married Overseas

Foreign citizens, intending on getting married in Russia, sometimes require a certificate attesting they are single. For Australians, this can be in the form of a letter of no objection (see below) or a single-status certificate from the registration authorities of your state or territory of residence. This certificate (as with any other documents not in Russian) must be translated into Russian and notarised.

If you are overseas and unable to apply for a single-status certificate and the letter of no objection below is not accepted, you can apply for a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI) from the Australian Embassy in Moscow.

Once you have completed the application form and are ready to lodge your application, please contact us to obtain the most up to date fee.

For information on how to pay for a CNI application, click here.

To make an appointment to lodge your CNI application, click here.

For a list of other document required by Russian authorities check with the local Russian marriage registry office (Zapis Aktov Grazhdanskogo Sostoyaniya or ZAGS) located at 17 Butyrsky Ulitsa, Moscow Tel: +74956851960 ot +74956857988).

Letters of No Objection

The Australian Embassy no longer issues personalised letters of no objection (LNO) or letters of clarifications for individual clients. If you were asked to provide an Embassy letter stating that the Australian Government does not object to you marrying a foreign national; adopting a foreign national; permanently residing in a foreign country; obtaining the citizenship of a foreign country; or registering the name of a newborn child without a patronymic name, you can download our universal letter of no objection in English and Russian, free of charge.  This letter applies to all Australian citizens residing in or travelling through Russia or our countries of accreditation.

Australian citizens do not require the approval of the Australian Government for any of the above activities, if performed in accordance with Australian and local laws and regulations.

For those intending on getting married overseas and where a letter of no objection is refused, a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage should be applied for (attracts a fee - see above for additional information on how to apply).

Australian Government Hub

For information on other Australian government information or services, please check the Australian Government Hub at