We have now introduced limited passport appointments. We also continue to provide some passport services remotely via the Digital Upload function (see 'COVID-19 Temporary Passport Arrangements' below).
To book an appointment or for more information, please email us at [email protected] describing your circumstances. We will continue to prioritise passport and consular services to those in genuine need.
You should allow a minimum of six weeks to get a new passport or renew your old one.
Child passport applications also have extra security checks and can often take longer to process.
Applications that don’t have all the necessary documents and information or haven’t met all requirements will also take longer.
You should not book travel until you have a valid passport (your passport number will change when you renew it).
Passport delivery to Russia and CIS countries is currently delayed, due to disrupted logistics.
If you need to travel urgently, we can issue an Emergency Passport (up to 7 months validity) usually within 2-3 working days, depending on our workload. If you would like to apply for an Emergency Passport, please email us at [email protected] for more information.
COVID-19 Temporary Passport Arrangements
Digital upload function on the Australian Passport Office website
From 23 February 2022, clients who have been issued with a 10-year Australian passport since 2005, or are applying for a child passport (under 16 years) will be able to upload their application on the Australian Passport Office website. This is a temporary arrangement.
You can access the online application if:
- You are located in Russia, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan or Uzbekistan and have a delivery address in one of these countries, and
- You have held a 10-year (Adult) Australian Passport since 2005, or
- You are lodging an application for a child (under 16 years).
If you meet the above criteria, please visit www.passports.gov.au to lodge your application. After you lodge, you will be contacted with further information.
If you do not meet the above criteria, this option is not available to you and you must lodge your application in person at the Australian Embassy, Moscow. Please email us at [email protected] for information.
You can't access the online application if:
- You have urgent travel or require an emergency passport
- You hold a limited validity passport
- You are aged 16 years or older and you're applying for a first-time adult passport (10 year passport available to applicants 16-17 years).
For clients who are located in one of the above countries and meet the relevant criteria, follow the steps below to lodge your passport application:
- Visit the Australian Passport Office website and create your account. Complete your application form online. Once the application is completed, the application form/summary page will display the ‘Lodging your application’ section, which will instruct you to upload photo, documents and payment form online.
- Upload and submit the application form, supporting documents, digital photo and credit card payment authorisation form, as shown in the ‘Upload documents’ section in your account.
- Once your digital application is being assessed, you will receive an email from [email protected] to finalise the payment authorisation. Payment is taken by Credit Card only, in AUD (Australian Dollars), with the card holder being located in Australia. Transaction fees and exchange rate conversions may be applied by your financial institution.
You will also be contacted if:
- the application is for a child
- additional documents are required
- there is a problem with what you have submitted
- you are not eligible for this service.
Once your passport has been finalised it will be sent directly to the Australian Embassy in Moscow. The Embassy will then notify you via email, so you can organise a courier on your side, or come and collect the passport in person. Please be aware that at this time, there may be unforeseen delays with receiving your passport. If you have urgent travel, please contact us to discuss a possible emergency passport.
Please see the Australian Passport Office website for current processing times.
If you face any issues when completing the passport application or during the account registration process, please contact the Australian Embassy, Moscow at [email protected]
Applying for a Passport (offline)
The Australian Embassy in Moscow can assist Australian citizens with applying for a new Australian passport, renew an expired passport or replace a passport that was lost or stolen.
If you're not eligible to use online lodgement, please see the following instructions on how to lodge your passport application.
First Adult Passport (aged 18 and over)
Adult Passport Renewal (aged 18 and over)
Child Passport (under 18)
Report Lost and Stolen Passport
Australians abroad, especially in Russia and in our countries of accreditation, must ensure their passports are valid throughout their entire stay. When renewing or replacing an Australian passport in Russia, pay particular attention to regulations regarding Russian visas. A Russian visa is only valid for the passport it was issued in. If the passport is cancelled, lost or is no longer valid, the visa also loses its validity. It is the responsibility of the passport holder to obtain a replacement visa for the new passport.
Appointments and Security
All passport and notarial services at the Australian Embassy in Moscow are provided by appointment only.
- Payments must be made at the time of the appointment by bank card only. Please note that cash won't be accepted.
- Security screening is in operation at the Australian Embassy in Moscow and is similar to airport screening.
- All visitors must present their passports to the guards to be able to enter the premises.
- Mobile phones must be switched off at all times while at the premises.
- The Australian Embassy in Moscow does not have public restrooms or baby changing facilities.
2022 Passport Fees
Fees as of 1 January 2022
All fees are shown in Australian dollars.
10 year validity passport (for persons aged 16 and over) $308
5 year validity passport (for children under 16) $155
5 year validity passport (optional for persons 75 and over) $155
Replacement passport $193
Emergency passport overseas $193
Overseas surcharge - adult applicant $138
Overseas surcharge - child applicant $67
For more information on passport services fees please email [email protected]
Additional and more extensive information can be found on the website of the Australian Passport Office: www.passports.gov.au