Australian Embassy
Russian Federation
Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan

Apply for a New Passport (child)

1. Read this guide

Read this guide and additional information at Applications that are incorrectly filled, incomplete or do not adhere to requirements, will delay the processing of your passport.

2. Complete the application form

Start your child's application online and print it for lodgment. All application forms must be pre-filled online and printed prior to your appointment.

 Note that minors aged 16 and 17 will receive a 10 years validity passport, whereas minors under 16 will receive a 5 years validity passport.

3. Collect your child's identity documents

To qualify for a passport, you need to confirm your child's Australian citizenship and prove your personal identity, using original documents:

  • Original of the minor’s Australian Citizenship Certificate (if born outside Australia). For information on how to apply for citizenship by descent, please visit either Department of Home Affairs - Citizenship by Descent or Australian Embassy, UK - Visa, Migration and Citizenship information.
  • Original of the minor’s birth certificate. If the certificate is not in English, then a translation needs to be attached. The translation must be prepared and stamped by a professional translator. In addition, if the birth certificate does not state the minor’s gender please attach Passport Form B11 stating the minor’s gender.
  • The lodging parent’s passport.
  • The non-lodging parent’s passport (a copy will do).
  • If any of the parents' current names differ from those shown on the child's birth certificate, original documents that explain the difference must be presented (e.g. marriage, divorce or change of name certificates). If the documents are not in English, then a translation needs to be attached. The translation must be prepared and stamped by a professional translator.
  • A child's passport is issued in the name recorded on their birth or citizenship certificate, unless a different name has been formally registered with an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages or a foreign equivalent authority (e.g. ZAGS in Russia) and you can provide an original change of name certificate or an original of the revised birth certificate.  Please contact the Passports Section for additional information.
  • Proof of residential address (e.g. registration documents, driver’s licence, property lease, or other document proving current address).
  • The minor’s previous passport (if renewing).


If you are a single parent or your minor was born through surrogacy, please contact the Passports section for additional information.

4. Obtain passport photos

You need to provide two high quality colour glossy photo prints that are no more than six months old. No retouching of photographs permitted. The photos must meet particular requirements. We recommend  you check the requirements before you have the child's photos taken and ensure the person taking the photos understands these requirements.

5. Choose a guarantor to endorse the application form and one of the photos

You will need a guarantor to endorse the child's photograph and complete section 12 of the application form. The guarantor should ideally be Australian with a current (unexpired) Australian passport that was issued with at least two years' validity. If you do not know an Australian passport holder who can meet the requirements, you may use someone currently employed in your country in the following approved professional groups. This person does not have to be Australian (but this may delay your application):

  • Certified accountants, engineers, or bank managers (senior management);
  • Judges, barristers, solicitors, patent attorneys, clerks of court, bailiffs, sheriffs;
  • Registered medical practitioners, dentists, registered veterinary surgeons, registered nurses;
  • Members of Parliament, elected city, county and district councillors;
  • Police officers with at least 5 years continuous service;
  • Teachers - full-time, who have been teaching for more than 5 year; or
  • Civil servants - full-time, who have been employed continuously for at least 5 years by their current government.

Your guarantor must also:

  • be 18 years of age or over;
  • have known the child for at least 12 months (or since birth);
  • not be related to the minor or the parents by birth, marriage, de facto or same-sex relationship, nor live at the same address;
  • be able to endorse the back of one photograph in English by writing "This is a true photograph of (applicant's full name)" and sign in black pen.

6. Lodge your child's passport application in person

You must lodge your application in person. Remember to take along your original identity documents, which will be checked and returned to you at the time

  • At least one of the parents is required to attend the interview. If the minor is under 16, they are not required to attend the interview with the parent. Minors aged 16 and 17 must attend the interview with the lodging parent.
  • To lodge your application at the Australian Embassy, Moscow, you must book your appointment online Interviews for passport applications can also be arranged at the Australian Consulates in St. Petersburg and Almaty, Kazakhstan. To lodge your application through our consulates, follow these steps.
  • Remember to bring the originals of all the relevant documents (which will be returned to you at the time), endorsed photos and the means to pay the passport fee at the interview.
  • Fees can be paid in RUB by bank card only over the counter or remotely. Cash payments are not accepted.
  • Please note that Passport Fees change every month. For the latest fee in RUB please email or call the Embassy directly to confirm the required amounts prior to making payment.

If you have further queries, please check as most likely the answer to your question can be found there. If you are still unable to resolve your query, you can contact the Australian Embassy's Passports Section at [email protected]  or on +7 (495) 956 6070.