Australian Embassy
Russian Federation
Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan

Student Visas

Australia has simplified its student visa framework. It has been designed to make the process of applying for a student visa simpler to navigate for students.

From 1 July 2016:

  • international students will apply for a single Student visa (subclass 500), regardless of their chosen course of study
  • student guardians will apply for the new Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)
  • all students and student guardians will generally be required to lodge their visa application online by creating an account in ImmiAccount

Short term study for under three months, with no permission to work, can be undertaken on a Tourist Visa.

Detailed information about Student visas is available from the Australian Department of Home Affairs website. You should read this information thoroughly when preparing any Student visa application.

How to Apply

You will need to make your application for a student visa through ImmiAccount. Detailed information on eligibility, which documents you need to submit and other aspects of the applciation process, can all be found on our department's main website at:

Confirmation of Enrolment (COE)

With limited exceptions, you must be enrolled in a course of study that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

If you are applying from outside Australia, you must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course of study with your visa application. A letter of offer from your education provider will not be accepted.

You do not need to provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) if you are:

  • sponsored by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade – provide a letter of support
  • sponsored by the Australian Department of Defence – provide a letter of support
  • a secondary exchange student – provide an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Student (AASES) form
  • a postgraduate research student required to remain in Australia for marking of your thesis – provide a letter from your education provider. 

If you are in Australia, you can apply with a letter of offer or a CoE but you must obtain a CoE to be granted the visa.

Health Requirements

All student visa applicants require a medical examination to comply with our Health Requirements.

Applicants applying for a student visa are now able to undertake medical examinations (including x-rays) before lodging their student visa application. The advantage of undertaking medicals before lodging a student visa application is that it can, in some instances, avoid delays in visa processing due to outstanding health requirements.

If you choose to undertake medical examinations before lodging your application you must use the My Health Declarations facility.

Once you have organised your medical examination using My Health Declarations you will receive a referral letter to take to your appointment with an approved Panel Doctor. This referral letter will contain a HAP ID for you and any family members listed in My Health Declarations. Please include a copy of this referral letter when you lodge your student visa application with the Embassy. This will ensure that we can identify the current status of your medical examination.

Fraud in Visa Applications

All applicants for visas should be aware that if your application include false or fraudulently obtained documents, or information that is false or misleading, your application may be refused. This includes information given by you, a member of your family, or another person acting on your behalf. You and your family members may also be barred from entering Australia for three years, which would include being considered for other visa types. This applies to both temporary visas (such as Visitors and Students), and permanent visas (such as Partner, Child and Other Family visas).

The immigration and citizenship fraud reporting service receives reports relating to individuals who do not hold a valid visa to remain in Australia, are working illegally in breach of their visa conditions, or have lied or provided false documents in their visa application.

Additional Information

Find more information about aknowledgment of your application, making an enquiry about your application, how we protect your personal information.

In addition, the Department of Home Affairs provides more information about student visas.